This weekend was a complete nightmare, at least in terms of speedometers. Friday I woke up with plans of spending Saturday installing my new shocks and if I Felt ambitious maybe attempt the oil leak around my fuel flange. My Little Bug had other plans though. Driving to my friend’s place Friday evening my speedometer cable snapped.
Now my car did warn me this would happen, although I did not understand that was the warning. For the past week my speedometer had began to scream again, similar to how it did before when my speedometer and fuel gauge went out last time. Having heard this scream before I figured it just had to be lubed again and I planned on doing it that weekend. WRONG!
My cable completely snapped. Again, I still believed the problem was the cable. Luckily I still had my old cable. So, after dislodging the end of the speedometer that was left in my wheel I inserted my old cable and ordered a new one.
My old speedometer cable made it less than a block before snapping. At this point it began to hit me that maybe the problem was not the cable, but in fact my speedometer. I went to the internet and began to Google. I found a blog that recommended a test to check the speedometer that was so simple I am angry I did not think of it myself. Cut off about 8 inches from the top of the broken speedometer cable, the end that would connect to the speedometer, and than insert that and try to manually spin the speedometer. If the speedometer budges or jumps you are good, if not the problem is the speedometer.
I than contacted my mechanic for some recommendations. He suggested using a drill to manually unjam my speedometer and if that did not help explained my two options, buy new or rebuild. Due to time constraints I planned to buy new, but everywhere was either sold out or only selling electric ones that would require a conversion kit. Instead I decided to go with a rebuild. currently that is where my speedometer sits, we shall see how this goes.