How the Little Bug became mine

My dad was a VW guy, I guess I could say he was just a car guy in general, but all my life I’ve been around VWs. My dad was a Mr.Mom, the stay at home dad, and he was great at it, the best dad. He was super involved with my school and all the kids knew him, even more they all knew the bug. First it was the brown bug in elementary school, as I moved on to middle school, my aunt gave him her bug, and he became known by his yellow bug.

When the time came for me to learn how to drive and my parents began to discuss what I would drive. My dad said he was going to fix the yellow bug up for me. Oh how that would piss me off. I thought the bug was amazing when I was little, but as I entered the teen years I really wanted nothing to do with it, a part of me may have been even a little embarrassed by it. I told him I wouldn’t drive a car that didn’t  have AC or an awesome sound system. He said he would put a sound system in and buy new regulators. He had all these plans to make the yellow bug nice for me, but I wouldn’t have it.

The talk about the bug becoming mine somewhat ended as he tried to teach me to drive a stick, it didn’t go well. After lots of frustration my license, learning to drive, and finding a car all kind of went on hold for a while.

In 2009, at my high school graduation, my dad collapsed and went into the hospital. Diagnosed with stage IV melanoma, he had a small chance of survival. As time went on it became clear that the best we could look forward to was a few more months. My dad had always been my best friend and during this time we became even closer. I spent everyday with him.

During this time something also clicked with me and his yellow bug. I decided that maybe it wouldn’t be that bad of a car to have and drive, at least for a little bit. One issue, I still didn’t have my license. That didn’t fully stop me, I took over caring for the bug, as much as I could. I rolled it back and forth every week to keep the tires good.

October 2009 my dad passed away.

At this time my mom’s car took a turn for the worse and took over driving the bug. Immediately it became apparent the bug was in worse condition than my dad had let onto. We tried a little quick fixes, but about a month into driving it the engine died and the car was parked.

I wasn’t ready to give up on the car though, something was pulling me to it. However, first thing first I needed my license. I got that taken care of and then went about trying to figure out how to tackle the car. A full-time, unemployed college student my funds were defiantly limited. While I was working to figure things out though I kept pushing that car back and forth every week.

It took longer than I had planned but after getting the car placed into my name last January, this July I finally got my funds together and found the right shop, and got my Little Bug in a shop to get its engine rebuilt.


About Simply Alex

A graduate of CSUF with my BA in Communications - Entertainment and Tourism Studies. I love food, photography, music, and writing. New to Hawaii by way of sunny SoCal.
This entry was posted in The Story and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to How the Little Bug became mine

  1. Willy says:

    Not sure if you’ve read this girls thread with the rebuild of her 66 Ghia. I am so impressed with both of you!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s